Join 100,000+ using Modula to power their WordPress galleries.
Over the past few weeks, we have started rolling out a new Modula version with a new image grid type and a single, fully customizable, lightbox script among a range of other amazing features and quality of live improvements.
🚀 Keep reading to find out what’s new in Modula!
We hope you are all staying healthy and safe during these crazy times we’re living.
We’ve got a pretty big Modula product announcement today. As you might have heard, our development team is very busy with the new version of Modula, dubbed the game changer.
TL;DR: Here are all the new features we’ve introduced:
- 🚀 Highly improved lightbox integration with a ton of customisation
- 🗂 Easy & automated layout structuring for grids
- 🧑🤝🧑 Social icons in lightbox
- 👓 Background and opacity settings to Lightbox
- 🔬 In-view load functionality
- 🖼️ Possibility to show image title in Lightbox
- 🆙 Updated Modula Slider to 1.0.2
- 🆙 Updated Modula Video to 1.0.2
- 🆙 Updated Modula Deeplink to 1.0.2
- 🆙 Updated Modula Protection to 1.0.4
- 🆙 Updated Modula Slideshow to 1.0.2
- 🆙 Updated Modula Albums to 1.0.3
- 🆙 Updated Advanced Shortcodes to 1.0.2
The all-new Modula Fancybox integration
Modula’s Fancybox advanced options are only available to Modula Pro users! Upgrade today. 🔒
Previously, Modula users could have chosen from 6 different lightbox scripts, without any customization possibility. We have now replaced them with a single lightbox that features advanced customization.
We’ve defaulted to Fancybox out of the 6 previously supported lightbox scripts because it’s the most feature-rich, and has the best support and updates going for it.
This has helped us considerably cut down on our development time as we now only have to support 1 single lightbox library instead of 6. Each lightbox script had its own set of limitations and it was always a pain point for users to figure out which lightbox script would work in their ideal scenario (most use cases – video galleries).
To put things in perspective, here’s an excerpt is taken straight from our docs:
For your reference, here’s a list of the lightbox styles that the Modula Video extension is compatible with:
Magnific Popup/Swipebox only works with a YouTube link, not with a YouTube embedded link
Fancybox/LightGallery/PrettyPhoto only work with both a YouTube link & a YouTube embedded link
Lightbox: Not compatible with the Modula video extension.
The following lightbox styles are also compatible with a Vimeo link: – Magnific Popup
🤦♂️ That was not pretty nor easy for users. On top of the limitations explained above, we also had to implement a lot of workarounds to add feature parity to each lightbox.
One of these scenarios was our filtering functionality. We had to write out a custom filter functionality so it would work properly across the board of those 6 different lightboxes. Albeit, it wasn’t perfect, it worked in 99% of cases – with the odd bug here and there.
❤️ Good news – that should now be a thing of the past as we’ve managed to rewrite the whole thing. It should now be glitch-free.
To summarise this, we’ve also managed to cut down on page weight and the number of loaded assets per gallery. So, your loading speeds should now be a tad faster with the move to a single lightbox script.
✋ Going forward, we will be officially only supporting Fancybox, starting with Modula 2.3.0. However, for those of you who still wish to use one of those old 6 lightboxes, you will be able to install the Lightbox Addon from the following link: https://github.com/MachoThemes/modula-lightboxes.
🛑 In order for Modula 2.3.0 to work correctly, the following add-ons will also have to be updated: Slideshow, Deeplink, Advanced Shortcodes & Right-click Protection. Please make sure to check the Updates section of your WordPress backend.
Introducing the new, columns grid
With Modula 2.3.0, and forward, we’ve introduced a new grid type, called columns, in which you are able to choose between 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 columns or even an Automatic layout option, that will arrange your pictures in the optimal grid, with just the right number of columns per row, depending on the number of images in your gallery.
This is one of those features the other gallery plugins have been offering as their only gallery solution. Adding this to Modula, it makes it obvious we’re now the most feature-rich gallery plugin on the market, offering a total of 4 grid types for the price of 1.
Automated layout structuring for grids
💥 The layout will be fully-responsive across all devices, platforms, and screen sizes (mobiles, tablets, laptops as well as wide screens) and will adjust automatically in line with the number of pictures in your gallery!
Social icons in Lightbox
Encourage the visitors of your website to share your amazing artwork with the help of the social icons displayed right in your Lightbox! You worked hard to take amazing shots and work on fine-tuning your angles. You now deserve some moments of glory. Let your audience put you in the spotlight!
Background and opacity settings to Lightbox
Setting the background and opacity of your pictures is now easier than ever. You can now set this in just a few clicks and instantly preview the changes to your photos when you open the Lightbox!
In-view load functionality
The User Experience of the visitors of your website is now significantly enhanced with this new in-view loading functionality of the Modula Fancybox! In the previous versions, the animations of your galleries were loading regardless of the scrolling position of your visitors in the pages with Modula blocks.
This is no longer the case! The shiny animations that you set on your galleries now load only when the user reaches the section of your page where your Modula block (or shortcode) lives, triggering an eye-candy, visually appealing, instantly-gratifying effect!
Show image title in Lightbox
This has probably been a long-awaited feature for you and the visitors of your photography website with Modula! Maybe a picture speaks 1000 words, but nothing broadcasts a more genuine, heart-touching message well enough than an image title. Give your image a title at your fingertips, right from the Lightbox settings!
Modula Lite 2.3.0
Bug fixes and enhancements in Modula free include:
- 🚀 Modula image files upload / select improvement;
- 🚀 General improvements over the UI admin interface;
- 🚀 Faster gallery load times
- 🔧 Fixed hover effects for images in Modula galleries;
- 🔧 Fixed an issue that was causing Elementor to open another lightbox
- 🔧 Fixed overflowing admin bar;
- 🔧 Fixed Classic Editor popup for in a view without galleries;
- 🔧 Fixed an issue occurring when selecting a gallery in the Elementor widget;
Modula 2.3.0 Pro
The features listed below are only available to Modula Pro users! Upgrade today.
- 🚀 Loop navigation option inside Lightbox
- 🚀 Toggle ON to show the image title in the lightbox above the caption
- 🚀 Toggle ON to show the image caption in the lightbox
- 🚀 Ability to position image captions or titles inside the lightbox
- 🚀 Enabling or disabling Keyboard / Mouse wheel navigation inside Lightbox
- 🚀 Customizing the toolbar which contains the action buttons on the top-right corner
- 🚀 Making a slide close if the user clicks / double clicks on the slide (not image)
- 🚀 Displaying the counter at the top left corner
- 🚀 Opening the lightbox automatically in Full-Screen mode
- 🚀 Placing the thumbnails at the bottom of the lightbox. This will automatically deploy the Y-axis for thumbnails
- 🚀 Ability to select vertical or horizontal scrolling for thumbnails;
- 🚀 Ability to display thumbnails on lightbox opening
- 🚀 Ability to choose the lightbox transition effect between slides
- 🚀 Allowing panning / swiping
- 🚀 Toggle ON to show all image
- 🚀 Choose the Open / Close animation effect of the lightbox
- 🚀 Set the lightbox background color
Modula Slider 1.0.2
- 🚀 Added caption/title under the image
- 🔧 Admin conditions update
- 🔧 Slider arrows position fixes
- 🚀 Added video in slider by using the Modula Video add-on
- 🚀 Added functionality to make the clickable slider
- 🚀 Added thumbnail navigator
- 🚀 Added thumbnail navigator options
- 🚀 Added support for elementor
- 🔧 Update to single lightbox Fancybox use
Modula Video 1.0.2
- 🚀 Added size controls for Video Icon
- 🚀 Added RGBA color for Video Icon
- 🔧 Galleries in the backend with video URL will now display the play icon
- 🔧 Added options conditions
- 🔧 Check for License and PRO version
- 🔧 Removed Pro Badge
- 🔧 Fix play icon color
- 🚀 Added video in slider functionality
- 🚀 Added support for Modula Albums
- 🚀 Added autoplay for videos
- 🚀 Added support for Modula link shortcode
Modula Deeplink 1.0.2
- 🔧 Removed Pro Badge
- 🔧 Update license checking
- 🚀 Added possibility to put custom URL to deeplink link
Modula Protection 1.0.4
- 🔧 Prevent opening page source with Ctrl+U/Cmd+U
- 🚀 Added protection for self-hosted videos
- 🚀 Added protection for Modula link shortcode
Modula Slideshow 1.0.2
- 🔧 Removed Pro Badge
- 🔧 Fix Pause on hover when Modula Protection is activated
- 🔧 Fixed slideshow in Modula link shortcode
- 🔧 Update slideshow conditions and child settings
Modula Albums 1.0.3
- 🔧 Fix albums and galleries conflict – galleries and albums can now reside co-exist on the same page
- 🔧 Admin UI update and improvements
- 🔧 Fix video in album – videos from galleries are now displayed correctly in the album
- 🚀 Added Lightbox icons controls
- 🚀 Added hover cursor – both predefined and custom cursor
- 🔧 WordPress Admin bar Modula Albums naming fix
- 🚀 Added hover padding setting
- 🚀 Added display alt text in lightbox
- 🚀 Added possibility to display image caption/title in the lightbox
- 🚀 Replaced packary JS with isotope JS
- 🔧 Fixed hover effects
- 🔧 Fix double lightbox opening when on standalone of the page that has ‘modula-album’ in article class
- 🔧 Fix standalone settings toggle checks
- 🔧 Fix standalone settings albums slug changing
- 🔧 Updated file structure
Modula Advanced Shortcodes 1.0.2
- 🔧 Removed the “show all galleries when loaded” setting.
- 🔧 Texts update
- 🔧 Gallery link attributes first-time use fix
As you can see, this is a MASSIVE update that we’ve been working on for the past few months and a lot of great (new) things are coming. If you’d like to stay up-to-date with our updates, make sure you’re signed up
If you have questions about Modula, and how we get the all-new features and add-ons running – feel free to get in touch with us.
Which feature are you most excited to use?
Contact us and let us know because we’re always looking for more ways to make Modula even better if you haven’t heard it! 🚀