The 5 Best WordPress Themes for Photographers in 2023
As a photographer, one of the most important ways to showcase your portfolio — and book new clients — is with a website. Although Squarespace, Weebly, and Wix are options for photographers to build sites, WordPress remains the world’s top option for anyone looking to create an easy and attractive website.
Since it’s so popular, there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of photography WordPress themes, making it nearly impossible to choose. So we’ve researched for you. Here are our top 5 picks for the best WordPress themes for photographers for 2023. We’ve included the pros and cons of each and example websites so you can see them yourself.
Check out our article that covers what you need to know before deciding to build a photography website on WordPress.
Table of contents
5 Tips for choosing your next WordPress theme
- Choose a theme built specifically for photographers or creatives. A theme that’s built to showcase images will have a very different native design than one that’s made for a newspaper, e-commerce site, or blog.
- If you’re a beginner, choose a site that’s easy to customize without rewriting code.
- Look for responsive themes. That means your content will display correctly no matter what device your viewer is using — a computer, a mobile phone, or a tablet.
- Could you read the reviews and the comments? The themes look great on the demo, but comments and reviews might reveal many users need help. On the contrary, comments could also reveal fantastic customer service and happy buyers, too.
- Invest in premium themes. When it comes to WordPress themes, you get what you pay for. Premium (paid) themes offer more features, better support, and reliability that you won’t find in a free theme.
The Best WordPress Photography Themes
Once you’ve found themes that meet those five tips, it’s just a matter of your taste and finding a theme that best meets your needs. So, here are our top 5 picks for the best WordPress themes for photographers right now:
With over a dozen modern, beautiful, customizable templates, it’s easy to see why Flothemes has tens of thousands of happy customers. Besides being simple to use, they have a reputation for excellent customer support.
- Customizable designs right out of the box
- One payment, no annual fee
- Fully responsive
- Excellent customer service
- More expensive than some other options
- Multiple interfaces to learn
2. Elementor Pro
Elementor is a drag-and-drop page builder for WordPress. This is different from the typical “page and post” interface you usually get with WordPress. Visual people, like photographers, love drag-and-drop themes because you can see the website as you’re building it and see any changes you make in real-time.
Elementor is not made specifically for photographers – it can be used for any website. However, they created photographer template kits with features meant to meet the needs of photographers. It is available with the paid Pro version of Elementor.
- No coding required
- Fully customizable using Elementor’s drag and drop editor
- Start with pre-made photography templates or start from scratch
- Fully responsive
- Very affordable. For one website, the pro version starts at only $49/year
- Has a reputation for site speed issues
- Not the best choice for a complete WordPress newbie
Imagely is another WordPress theme and series of plugins that were created especially for photographers. One thing that sets Imagely apart from the rest is its built-in plugin that allows photographers to sell and automatically fulfill print orders with integration from the print house White House Custom Color. This feature is a game-changer for photographers who sell prints; you’ll only find it with Imagely.
- 19 fully responsive, customizable designs to choose from
- Ability to sell digital downloads to users
- Image right-click protection
- Sell and auto-fulfillment of photography prints
- Wide range of pricing options
- May need to purchase other plugins for full functionality
- It’s not required, but for the best experience, you should host with them
We should mention Divi on a list like this. It is one of the most widely used WordPress website builders today. However, Divi is not photography-specific. It can (and is) used to build just about any website you can think of.
It comes with over 1,000 pre-designed templates, including many for portfolio sites. Divi isn’t just a theme; it is also a WYSIWYG page builder, so your options for customization are endless.
- Drag and drop visual page builder with no coding
- Fully responsive
- Popularity means there are a lot of 3rd party tools and plugins made to work with Divi
- Reasonably priced at $249 gets you a lifetime membership to use it on unlimited websites
- So many options can make the software clunky and slow its performance
- Doesn’t always play nice with outside plugins and themes
- Need to learn multiple interfaces
The four themes we’ve named are excellent, feature-rich options for building your WordPress site. However, we wanted to include a theme that will appeal to beginners who aren’t well-versed in WordPress. But it still had to meet our strict standards. That led us to Noah by Pixelgrade.
Noah is simple to use and customize — you don’t have to be a webmaster to figure it out. More importantly, it features a clean, simple, modern design that showcases your photography. Read over the reviews, and you’ll see that Noah is loved by WordPress experts and newbies alike. You’ll also appreciate the responsive customer service of the folks at Pixelgrade.
- Fully responsive layout
- Excellent customer support
- Reasonably priced
- A good option for WordPress beginners
- Fewer bells and whistles than the other options (but many can be added with plugins)
A word about Plugins
Since the themes in this guide are all built specifically for photographers, they all include an option to build a portfolio, at least to some extent. However, you can constantly improve your theme’s functionality by installing plugins. That includes installing a plugin to make the most of your photography portfolio, like Modula.
There are many ways to build a website with WordPress and many different themes, templates, and plugins to help you. The WordPress themes for photographers we’ve listed are some of the best available today. They were created with the photographer’s unique needs in mind. You can’t go wrong by choosing any of them.
And, if you’re already using another WordPress theme for your photo website that you love, share it with us in the comments below. We’d love to know about it!
Get the #1 gallery plugin for your WordPress site today!
100,000+ happy users