Who wouldn’t want to earn money by selling their photos online? Let’s take a look at how and where you can start to sell stock photos.
Over 48% of the world’s population owns a smartphone, which means that essentially the same number of people now have access to the Internet.
The Internet has made communication easier than ever before, united the whole world, and created the archetype of the information exchange.
The Internet has also made it easier than ever for photographers all over the world to not only share but also make money from selling photos online. Thanks to tools like WordPress, which now powers 33% of all websites, you can easily create your own photography website and start selling your photos online.
Without further ado, let’s jump straight to it…
|Table of Contents|
|1. How to sell photos on your own website – and keep all the profits|
|2. Selling on Adobe Stock|
|3. Selling on ShutterStock|
|4. Selling on 500px|
|5. Selling on Foap|
|6. Selling on Alamy|
|7. Selling on iStock Photo|
|8. Selling on Stocksy|
|9. Selling on Getty Images|
|10. Selling on Can Stock Photos|
|11. Selling on FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
|12. Selling on PhotoDune|
|13. Selling on Twenty20|
|14. Selling on Depositphotos|
|15. Selling on Dreamstime|
|16. Selling on GL Stock Images|
|17. Selling on EyeEm|
|18. Selling on Image Vortex|
|19. Selling on 123RF|
|20. Summary table of photo selling services and associated payouts|
Best places to sell photos online
1. Selling photos on your own website
I think it’s best to start with our personal favorite – WordPress (the self-hosted version). WordPress is a great option for photographers that are confident that they want to retain control over their own images and brand.
With the repository housing around 55,500 plugins, it’s easier than ever to set up a store to sell stock photos without sacrificing the prestige of your brand by selling on other websites.
Although some might argue that it takes far too long to set a website up with WordPress, most will find that it is really easy and quick to get started, and even for those who do find it difficult, it’s definitely worth it in the end.
Selling photos online, on your own website, might be more difficult unless you are already fairly well-known and have built up a community around your work.
Most big businesses and individuals will prefer to purchase images on stock photography websites which they know is 100% reliable and secure.
But the advantages of selling your work on your own website are:
- You can set your own competitive prices.
- Nobody else takes a cut from the sale of your work.
- You have full control over how your work is displayed.
- You can define your own terms and conditions.
- And, once again – you’re in full, total control.
The great news is that this can be easily done with Modula. Here’s how:
Step 1: Install Modula plugin and Create a Gallery
Start by installing the Modula plugin and activating it. Then, go to Galleries > Add new. Name your gallery and upload all the images you’d like to sell. This will allow you to sell images in a bundle. Click Save Gallery when you’re done. Be sure to copy the URL of the gallery page you’ve created.
Step 2: Install WooCommerce and Create a Product
Once you’ve created the gallery, install the WooCommerce plugin and activate it. You’ll need to go through the setup process and configure your store’s address, currency, payment gateway, and allow the plugin to create the necessary pages.
After WooCommerce has been configured, click on Products > Add New. Enter the name for your product and then tick the boxes next to Virtual and Downloadable.
The next step is to click on Add File. You’ll then be able to enter the name and the URL for your Modula gallery that you’ve created earlier.
Be sure to fill out the product description and add the photos so visitors can see which photos are included in the bundle.
Otherwise – if you’d like all of your photos to be sold separately you can create multiple products for each image (by clicking Add File).
Then, when editing your Modula gallery in WordPress, you can hide the edit button on any of the images, scroll down to the URL section and paste in the URL to the specific product that you’ve just created with WooCommerce.
When you’re done entering all the product details, click on Publish and your visitors will now be able to buy your photos from your website.
2. Adobe Stock
Adobe Stock has the credibility of being the makers of the most popular photo editing software on the market, and also any photos that are uploaded to the marketplace are easily accessible in other Adobe products.
This increases the visibility of your work as it can become easily accessible from within their Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop or Illustrator software.
The freedom you are given when you start selling stock photos on Adobe Stock is incredible.
You can even sell your photos elsewhere since Adobe Stock does not require that you give them exclusive selling rights. And above all, profits are usually between 20% and 60%.
If you think what you have as it takes as a photographer, don’t hold back. It’s time to turn your passion into profit.
Just as you’d hope, setting up an account as an Adobe Stock contributor is just as easy as logging in with your existing Adobe ID or creating a new one.
The only disadvantage of joining the Adobe Stock network as a contributor is that you will be competing with some of the world’s most talented photographers. This means it’s going to require a lot of hard work to get people to pay attention to your creative work.
Adobe Stock Advantages
– Adobe has a great reputation in the media industry so you know you’re in good hands.
– Great support from their team when you need it.
– Trusted & used by professionals.
Adobe Stock Disadvantages
– Lots of competition which makes it hard to get attention.
– No audio-only submissions allowed.
Shutterstock is the most popular stock photography website and has been for over 15 years. They not only have millions of images but also have videos, music tracks that and most importantly millions of purchasing customers.
According to their website over $500 million in payouts to their contributors have been fulfilled. This means, as a creator, you can earn a significant amount of money by selling your images on the Shutterstock marketplace in the long run.
On top of that, Shutterstock allows you to retain the copyright of your images which means you do still get some control. Furthermore, they also provide credit to the image’s owners, which is a huge benefit if you’re trying to build a brand around your creative work.
Contributors can earn anywhere between 20-30% based on how many times your content has been downloaded by their customers at the end of each month.
The fact that Shutterstock is quite well known in the industry might not necessarily be a good thing. Stock photography sites that are quite popular are notorious for making it more difficult for new, aspiring photographers to actually make some money.
Publishing and selling your work on the Shutterstock marketplace does not limit you to exclusively selling through their network – so it’s definitely still worth giving it a try…
– By far the most popular paid stock photography site so if your work is good, the chances are some people will find it.
– Getting started isn’t very complicated.
– Trusted & used by professionals.
– You don’t own your brand and the way your photos are distributed so nobody will “discover” you as a photographer.
Whether your equipment consists of a top of the line DSLR camera or the latest smartphone, 500px is worth checking out.
Even if you only sign up for the free subscription, you will be able to license and monetize your photos in their community with over 13 million members and growing.
The paid membership plans include such perks as advertising your services so you can find more opportunities to make money and an Adobe CC plan.
For smartphone users, 500px has an Android and iPhone app so you can snap pictures and upload them on the go.
You’ll be pleased to hear that getting started with 500px is as easy as logging into Gmail. Once you’ve created an account with them you’ll immediately be able to start uploading and sharing your work to make some money!
– 500px is also very popular & has a great reputation in the media industry.
– You can build up a profile with your work.
– Getting started is very easy.
– Trusted & used by professionals.
– The free account is limited to 20 photos per week which might not be sufficient for some heavy users of the platform.
Foap has been featured in ABC News as being a profitable app for photo selling. Users make 50% of the profits from Foap even when big brands, such as Sony and MasterCard buy their photos.
The way that Foap works is particularly interesting when compared to the other regular stock photography websites in the rest of this post. Foap defines itself as a customized visual-content platform powered by creatives for creative professionals. But what does that actually mean?
As mentioned above, Foap really isn’t a regular stock photography website. The process looks like outlined below:
A brand looking for the perfect photo would turn to Foap and send them their brief which details the tone, aesthetics and target audience.
Photographers can then compete in what Foap interestingly calls Missions.
Submitting a photo or video to one of Foap’s missions is the easiest way to make the most money out of selling your creative work. All you need to do is produce a photo that matches that of the described Mission brief to satisfy the requirements and the kind of imagery that the brand is looking for. With Missions, just one photo has the potential to make hundreds of dollars.
Whether you’re a photographer or a company looking for photo or video content, Foap customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, all year round.
– The way the platform works is unique and tends to give photographers more opportunities to participate than other platforms.
– Allegedly used and trusted by some major brands such as Nivea, Volvo and Heineken just to name a few.
– The Foap platform isn’t as popular or as well-known as other stock photography websites which can make it more difficult to succeeed.
Alamy is another great place to start selling your stock photos online right away without subjecting yourself to any complicated rules. Although the Alamy network may not be as popular as Shutterstock and Adobe Stock which means it won’t have as many customers – it is certainly still worth considering.
At the time of writing, Alamy has made up to $180 million in payouts to their contributing photographers. One of the most well-known places for selling images because you make a surprising 50% on each sale…
– Takes a lower cut so photographers can actually earn up to a suprising 50% on every sale.
– While Alamy may not be as popular as some other stock photography sites it has paid out over $100 million to their contributing photographers.
– There isn’t much of a community aspect to the Alamy platform.
– Building up a profile that you can share isn’t really something that can be done.
– Photographers on Alamy don’t get much exposure.
7. iStock Photo (by Getty Images)
iStock Photo is another great place. They have resources that are geared towards helping photographers understand how to get started selling.
The service is owned and operated by Getty Images.
The commission you receive when someone downloads your photo starts at a mere 15% but can actually increase all the way to 45%.
This is, however, entirely dependent on the popularity of your profile and work on the website, and if a customer purchases one of your images as a part of their monthly (or yearly) subscription you can only receive 15% of the sale.
iStock Photo Advantages
– iStock Photo also has a great reputation and is a popular destination used by businesses and inndividuals looking for profesisional stock photography.
– Owned by Getty Images, you know that you’re in good hands and will get the support that you need as a photographer if your work stands out on their platform.
iStock Photo Disadvantages
– The process of joininng isn’t as easy as it is for some of the other stock photography websites that are listed in this post because the service is owned and controlled by Getty Images.
– iStock Photo’s regulations surrounding model releases, capturing photographs in certain places without permission are strict – and rightly so.
Although Stocksy was founded back in 2013, they aren’t that well-known when compared to popular alternatives such as Shutterstock and 500px – but we think you should consider them.
In my opinion, yes – you definitely should. They have a serious vetting process in place for their photographers which means that your chances of being accepted aren’t that high, but if you do this puts you at an advantage.
Wouldn’t you rather be a part of a stock photography network that prides itself on quality rather than just accepting every application they get?
Stocksy is thrilled to announce the reopening of Call to Artists for the first time in 2 years. At Stocksy, we are renowned for our co-op model, making artists co-owners in a business that pays the highest royalties in the industry (50-75%) and is dedicated to creative integrity.
Applications are open to anyone. We commonly look for artists with an eye for storytelling or who have complete bodies of work.
We’re currently seeking new international talent, with a focus on Southeast and East Asia, the Middle East, Australasia and Western Europe; as we look to represent and challenge traditional beauty ideals and stereotypes for a more inclusive world.
Here’s a snippet from their page for applications. In short, at the moment they’re looking for new international talent, and they’ve reopened the application process which they refer to as a “Call to Artists” for the first time in 2 years. Now’s the time to join!
– Premium network of photographers that they truly partner with to ensure quality.
– pays the highest royalties in the entire industry by far (50-75%) so they’re not taking a huge cut of your profits.
– is dedicated to creative integrity.
– easy to sell pictures online with them
– Joining isn’t easy especially if you miss the period where the “Call to Artists” is open.
9. Getty Images
Getty Images is one of the most popular names in the stock photo industry. With over 1.5 million customers in over 200 countries, your photos will be seen and used by a large audience around the world.
To join Getty Images, you’ll first need to download their mobile app and fill out the application. You’ll also need to submit 3-6 samples of your photos. Your application will then be reviewed and you’ll be notified if it’s been accepted. Getty Images offers 20% commission for royalty-free photos.
Getty Images Advantages
– Very popular and known name in the industry
– Large audience
Getty Images Disadvantages
– Lower payout rates than some other sites on this list.
10. Can Stock Photo
Can Stock Photo has a simple and straightforward process for selling your photos. You’ll have to create an account, submit 3 photos and your application, and wait for their team to get back to you.
Once approved, you can start uploading images using their SpeedSubmit™ system. They offer a generous commission payout for single image purchases — you can get 50% commission for each image.
Can Stock Advantages
– Easy application process
– Generous commissions
Can Stock Disadvantages
– The site doesn’t seem to have features for creating robust user profiles
FreeDigitalPhotos.net offers a range of free and premium stock photos. Users on this platform can download a smaller version of your photo for free, however, they will need to provide attribution which does bring you credit and exposure. If they choose to download a large version of the photo, you can earn 70% commission.
– You get a portfolio page
– Very high commissions for paid-for images – Easy application process
– Doesn’t have a very large audience yet
PhotoDune is a part of Envato Market. Once you join this marketplace, you’ll get in front of a large audience and be able to set your own prices for your photos. The commissions vary depending on whether you’ve decided to sell photos exclusively through PhotoDune or not.
– Very popular and known website
– Large audience
– Lower payout rates than some other sites on this list
Twenty20 started out as a website for Instagram photographers to sell their photos to brands and influencers. Since then, it has morphed into a stock photo site with more than 50 million crowd-sourced photos and 300,000 photographers all over the world.
Twenty20 uses a SubscriberShare commision model where you earn a share of the net revenue of each subscriber that buys your photo.
– Potential for 100% of the earnings if a subscriber buys only your photos
– Easiest sign up process
– Can take time to build up a profile if you’re just getting started
Depositphotos boasts over 149 million photos in their library and they pay based on your experience and status on the platform. Generally speaking, commissions range between 34–42%.
You’ll have to go through the application process and upload your 5 best files for examination. They will be reviewed within 7-10 business days and once approved, you’ll be able to start selling on the platform.
– Generous commission
– Large audience – Portfolio page
– Long application review process
Dreamstime has a large audience of 29 million users worldwide so you can get your photos into the hands of an international audience. They offer 60% commission for exclusive photos and between 25% and 50% for non-exclusive photos.
– Well-known stock photo website with global audience
– Community oriented – Generous commissions
– They do require more commitment than other sites: you need to have at least 70% of your portfolio on their website for at least 6 months
16. GL Stock Images
GL Stock Images allows you to choose your own license as well as set your own price. You’ll earn 40% commission regardless of whether you sell exclusively on GL Stock Images or on other platforms as well.
GL Stock Advantages
– Has generous commissions
– You can upload multiple files at once
GL Stock Disadvantages
– Photo upload limits are determined by your approval rating and GL reviewer rating
EyeEm stands out among other stock photo websites on this list because they seem to be more focused on advertising and promoting stock photos. They boast 50% commission and the sign up process is easy and straightforward.
– Partnership with Getty Images which puts your work in front of more people
– Generous commissions – Easy sign up process
– Review process can take from a few days up to a couple of weeks
18. Image Vortex
Image Vortex is not as popular as other sites on this list but they do allow you to set your own prices and offer 70% commissions.
Image Vortex Advantages
– One of the sites with highest commissions on this list
Image Vortex Disadvantage
– Their website has a somewhat outdated design
123RF is another popular stock photo platform. You’ll have to create an account and submit your photos for review. Once accepted, you can earn between 30-60% commissions and you don’t have to sign an exclusive agreement.
– Global audience
– Generous commissions – Non-exclusive
Image Vortex Disadvantage
– Review time dependant on the number of submissions in queue
Summary of the places where you can sell your photo online
In the table below you can find a summary of the places that allow you to sell your photos online, alongside their respective commission payouts.
|Website Site||Commission Payout %|
|Can Stock Photo||50%|
|GL Stock Images||40%|
How to sell photos online and make money
If you want to sell photos online and make money, you have two options.
1. Use a combination of Modula and WooCommerce
In our opinion, Modula paired with WooCommerce is the best option for selling photos online and making money. For starters, you don’t have to wait for the approval process. Secondly, you get 100% of the earnings which means you are in complete control over how much money you can make.
Getting started with selling your photos on your website is not difficult. All you have to do is follow the steps we’ve shared in the first section of this article.
2. Sell Your Photos On Stock Photography Site of Choice
Choose a stock photo site from our list and start selling your photos there. Hopefully, the first part of this post has made easier for you to decide which stock photo website to go with but in case you’re still struggling to make your choice, here’s my recommendation:
Just start with the one that sounds most suitable.
If you start with Adobe Stock or Shutterstock, that doesn’t mean that you’re going to be bound to using them to sell your photos for life. You’ll always be able to transition to another platform or even transition to selling your photos on your own website.
The key to successfully start selling your photos online is not to overcomplicate the process.
If you’ve decided to go this route, there are a few steps to follow:
1. Create An Account
This step is very straightforward. Just create your account and fill out your profile with all of the necessary (and accurate) information to complete your profile and in some cases also the application you need to submit to join the stock photography network.
If the site that you’ve decided to join has a review system in place, this can take a while so you may need to take a break between steps 2 and 3.
2. Start Producing and Sharing Work That Has The Potential To Be Used by People
This might be obvious but often comes up when people say that they are struggling to sell their photos. Not every photo will sell equally well.
Obviously, it’s important to keep an eye out on stock photography websites to see what it is that is more popular. One such example could be city photography, and this is something that shouldn’t be particularly difficult for you to capture if you already live in a city and are able to take unique photos of buildings, etc.
Summary: Best Places to Sell Your Photos Online
Selling photos online and making money from it is not that difficult. The easiest and most cost-effective option is to sell photos from your website as it allows you to be in full control over your profits.
But if you’re looking for more exposure, you can start selling your photos on places like Adobe Stock, Alamy, ShutterStock, and other websites listed in this article.
If you’re just getting started with your photography business, the articles below will help you launch your website and more:
- The best hosting for photographers
- The definitive guide to creating an online photography portfolio
- The best photo editing software for photographers
- How to start a drone photography business
We hope that this guide has made it easier for you to decide how to sell your photos and make money out of it.