Join 100,000+ using Modula to power their WordPress galleries.
10+ Best WordPress Plugins for Photographers in 2023
Are you looking for the best WordPress plugins for photographers to enhance your photography website? Stop where you are; you need to read this article!
As you probably already know, tons of WordPress plugins are available – the number is over 58,500+ right now. Jeepers, that’s a lot of plugins!
But you shouldn’t download and install any random photography gallery plugin. You could waste time, time better spent on actually taking the photos in the first place!
You need a photograph gallery plugin to help you create the most stunning photography website the world has ever seen! To showcase your masterpieces and attract as many customers as possible.
Do we have your attention?
Excellent, let’s take a look at some options.
To save you some of your valuable time, in this article, we’ll take a look at the following:
- Top 13 WordPress plugins for photographers!
- Their most powerful features.
- Pricing plans.
- And much more.
Table of contents
- ♟️ Modula Gallery
- ♟️ Kali Forms
- ♟️WPVR – Virtual Tour Creator
- ♟️ WooCommerce Protected Categories
- ⭐ WooCommerce Protected Categories Features
- 💰 Pricing
- ♟️ ShortPixel
- ♟️ GDPR Cookie Consent
- ♟️ WP Rocket
- ♟️ Yoast SEO
- ♟️ Wordfence
- ♟️ Easy Digital Downloads
- ♟️ Picu – Client Proofing
- ♟️ Check & Log Email
- ♟️ Easy Watermark
- Final Thoughts – WordPress Plugins for Photographers
- Frequently Asked Questions
♟️ Modula Gallery
The first plugin you will need as a photographer is a WordPress photo plugin. Modula is the most powerful and customizable WordPress photo gallery plugin. Why?
It allows you to create mobile-friendly, fully responsive image and video galleries that look equally awesome on all devices and screen sizes.
This gallery plugin will do most of the work for you, thanks to Modula’s drag-and-drop builder. You can generate stunning photographic galleries in a blink of an eye.
⭐ Modula Features
Modula offers the following key features that are crucial for any photographer:
- Albums creation – sort your galleries into albums;
- Four different grid types – creative, custom, slider, and masonry;
- Gallery features – 4 image loading effects; lightbox gallery, filterable galleries, and 42 image hover effects;
- Social sharing buttons – allow your visitors to share your masterpieces;
- Password protection – to prevent image theft;
- Watermark – add a watermark to your images;
- EXIF extension – to display data from your image directly into your gallery;
- Video extension – you can add videos to your galleries or create video galleries;
- Speed up extension – load your images as fast as possible;
- Zoom extension – allows your visitors to see your work in detail;
- Modula Whitelabel – to replace any occurrence of Modula with your brand name and logo;
- Modula User Roles – allow admins to decide which user roles can create, edit, and remove galleries and albums and defaults/presets.
- Modula Defaults – to create multiple gallery defaults, each with its unique name and values;
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
Modula comes in two flavors. A free version and a premium one. Pricing for the pro version starts from $39. There are three different packages to choose from. To find out which suits you, look at our comparison guide here.
Of course, we couldn’t help but mention one of our plugins. Although you could say we’re biased, we truly believe it is a must-have plugin for any photography-related website and therefore belongs on this (and any) list of WordPress plugins for photographers!
♟️ Kali Forms
You likely want to provide your website’s visitors and potential photography clients with an easy way to get in touch with you.
This is especially true if you are a professional photographer and want people to hire you or are actively looking for work! One of the best ways to do this is using our favorite WordPress form plugin – Kali Forms.
⭐ Kali Forms Features
- Advanced fields – collect information from users through a big bunch of field types;
- Conditional logic – hide and show fields in your forms based on your user selections;
- Multi-page forms – group your page fields on different pages;
- Submissions handling – store submission data in your database;
- Form notifications – trigger one or multiple notifications on each submission form;
- reCAPTCHA and Akismet integration – prevent spam submissions through Google reCAPTCHA and Akismet services;
- Form templates – pre-made templates that can be added to your form;
- Form calculator – perform simple or complex calculations through your form fields;
- PayPal and Stripe integration – allow payments through the PayPal and Stripe payment gateways;
- User registration – create, edit, and login users;
- Digital signature – add digital signatures to your form;
- MailChimp, MailerLite, ConvertKit, ActiveCampaign, Sendfox, Sendinblue; Mailpoet, Moosend, Campaign Monitor – add users to your newsletters;
- Google Analytics – track user behavior on your forms;
- HubSpot integration. – easy, on-hand marketing tools streamline your workflow.
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
|Starter||$ 29||1 site|
|Freelancer||$ 49||3 sites|
|Small business||$ 69||15 sites|
|Agency||$ 89||Unlimited sites|
This contact form builder offers a free and premium version. If you go with the premium one, you can choose between four pricing plans – Starter, Freelance, Small business, and Agency.
Kali Forms plans differ depending on the supported sites and some features and integrations.
♟️WPVR – Virtual Tour Creator
The WPVR plugin allows you to create virtual tours of real estate properties, showrooms, hotels, restaurants, or other locations.
Since the demand for virtual tours is rising, you can now provide your clients with virtual tour services using WPVR.
You need to capture 360-degree images of your client’s property and turn them into a stunning virtual tour they can share on their website and marketing materials.
⭐ WPVR Features
- Unlimited virtual tours – share as many as you’d like;
- Unlimited Scenes and Hotspots – allows you to configure showcases for multiple clients;
- Responsive Scene Gallery – ensures all scenes will look great on any device;
- Customizable Hotspot icons and colors – white-labeling has never been easier;
- Customizable Control buttons (Icons and colors) – again, white-label how the tours appear to suit your brand;
- Gyroscope support for mobile devices – utilizing built-in mobile features creates a more intuitive experience;
- Mobile panorama or partial panorama support – allows visitors to feel like they’re “there”;
- Front-end notice for mobile devices;
- Shortcode, Gutenberg, Elementor, and Oxygen builder support – more editing options make your job easier.
- 360-degree Video Tour – provide visitors with the immersive experience they expect;
- Embed Google Street Views – this added convenience saves visitors time;
- Image, Text, GIF, and Video content support on Hotspots – further customization options allow you to add more detail;
- Background music – setting the mood can help you paint a picture;
- Mouse and keyboard control for tours – the more ways to control the content, the better;
- Contact form support – so you’ll never have to go it alone;
- Embed WooCommerce Products;
- White label company logo and description fields.
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
|Starter||$ 59.99||1 site|
|Pro||$ 149.99||10 sites|
|Agency||$ 249.99||Unlimited sites|
WPVR has both the free version and the pro version for you. So, you can try out the free version of the plugin before you upgrade to any of the pro plans.
♟️ WooCommerce Protected Categories
If you offer photoshoots for individual clients, then you probably need a secure way for them to purchase their photos online. At the same time, you want them to be able to share access to their private photos so that their friends and family can order too.
For example, if you’re a wedding photographer, then you need to be able to upload photos to a hidden client area on your WordPress site.
Then give the happy couple a password they can share with the other wedding guests. Making it private yet easily shareable is an excellent way to generate extra revenue, as you’re expanding the number of people who can easily buy your photos.
You can quickly achieve this using the free WooCommerce plugin with WooCommerce Protected Categories.
Barn2, the company behind WooCommerce Protected Categories, has provided a step-by-step tutorial on how to sell photos in a hidden client area.
⭐ WooCommerce Protected Categories Features
- Hidden client area – Create hidden categories for each client.
- Three protection options – Protect each client’s photos behind a simple password, or restrict access based on their user account or role.
- Client login page – Create a central login page where clients can enter their passwords. They are then redirected to their hidden photo store to purchase copies.
- Automatically protect sub-categories – If you do multiple photoshoots for the same client, create a sub-category for each session. It will automatically be protected with that client’s password.
- Complete documentation and support – Like all Barn2 plugins, WooCommerce Protected Categories comes backed with complete documentation, video tutorials for your exact use case, and expert support.
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
WooCommerce Protected Categories starts at $89 for an annual license. There’s a choice of Starter, Business, and Agency licenses depending on how you plan to use the plugin. You can also get a lifetime license, which comes with lifetime updates and support
As a photographer, it’s only natural to want to showcase your photos in full resolution. Without a doubt, full-res images are stunning. But they don’t belong on your website.
Full-res, uncompressed images will — unfortunately — slow down your website. And a slow-loading website will annoy your users and can increase your bounce rate.
Thankfully, with a plugin like ShortPixel, you can automatically optimize your images during the upload process.
ShortPixel is, by far, our favorite image compression plugin for WordPress. And we use it on this site to ensure that our load time is as fast as possible for our visitors.
⭐ ShortPixel features
- Compress JPG (and its variations JPEG, JPEG 2000, JPEG XR), PNG, GIF (still or animated) images, and also PDF documents;
- Option to freely convert any JPEG, PNG, or GIF to WebP;
- Automatically convert PNG to JPG if that will result in smaller images;
- Include the generated WebP images into the front-end pages by using the <picture> tag instead of <img>;
- Compatible with WP Retina 2x – all retina images are automatically compressed;
- Optimize thumbnails as well as featured images;
- Ability to optimize any image on your site – this includes images in any image galleries or sliders;
- Option to scale images down – this comes with two different options;
- CMYK to RGB conversion;
- Skip already optimized images;
- Quickly test lossy/glossy/lossless versions of the images – do this with a single click in your Media Library;
- Keep or remove EXIF data from your images – compress photos with a lossless option;
- Works well with both HTTPS and HTTP websites;
- Uses progressive JPEG for larger images – this speeds up the image display;
- You can run the ShortPixel plugin on multiple websites – or run a multisite with a single API Key;
- ‘Bulk’ optimize all the existing images in Media Library – also works on any gallery with one click;
- No file size limit;
- Integrates with Gravity Forms post_image field type – this optimizes the images upon upload;
- Compatible with image gallery and watermarking plugins;
- Option to deactivate auto-optimizing images on upload;
- No credits are used for the images that are optimized less than 5%;
- Direct integration with Cloudflare – either by using an API Key or a Token;
- GDPR compliant.
|Plan||What you pay per month||Compressed images|
ShortPixel image optimizer is available in a free version and a premium one with four main pricing plans and much more extensive plans for handling millions of images simultaneously.
Each plan allows you to optimize a specific number of images per month. There are also three more plans, but you’ll have to contact their team. You can also opt for a one-time pricing plan.
If you’re not sure which plugin to use on your website and would prefer to read an in-depth comparison of all the highly-rated WordPress Image Optimization plugins first, click here
♟️ GDPR Cookie Consent
GDPR Cookie consent is a plugin that allows you to add a highly customizable cookie banner. The banner allows you to inform the users about the cookies being used on the website and take consent to use them.
The plugin also provides many other compliance features, including automatically identifying the cookies on the website and blocking them until the user consents. The plugin also has a free version that you could use on your website.
⭐ GDPR Cookie Consent features
- The plugin will enable a WordPress cookie notice with Accept and Reject options;
- Admin can configure cookie details from the backend – this includes their description;
- This GDPR plugin adds a subtle cookie banner to your WordPress website – place this either in the header or footer so you can show your compliance status regarding the new GDPR law;
- You can fully customize the cookie notice style – this ensures it blends with your existing website: change the colors, fonts, styles, the position on the page, and even how it behaves when you click “Accept”;
- You can choose to make the cookie notice bar disappear after a few seconds – or you can configure it to accept on page scroll;
- Cookie Audit module – easily show what cookies your site uses and display them neatly in a table on your Privacy & Cookies Policy page;
- The plugin can be configured to have a CCPA ‘Do Not Sell My Personal Information’ control on the cookie notice;
- Integrates seamlessly with Official Facebook Pixel – also works with Smash Balloon Instagram Feed & Twitter Feed;
- WPML compatible.
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
This WordPress plugin allows you to choose between a free version and four pricing plans. Depending on the number of sites you need this plugin, you can choose the proper plan and pay for it annually.
♟️ WP Rocket
Speed is critical because customers and users expect a fast, reliable online experience when browsing your website.
For photography websites, it’s even more important to spend time optimizing your website. That’s because all the images on your website will likely impact your site’s loading time.
With the WP Rocket caching plugin, you can significantly improve your page load speed and reduce your origin server load speed.
WP Rocket and Cloudflare are the perfect matches and two of the best ways to speed up your website quickly. So, you can rest assured you won’t annoy your visitors.
Along with the two other WordPress performance optimization plugins in this list, WP Rocket is vital to ensure your website loads fast and reduce the likelihood of your webssite site crashing if (or when) it gets flooded with traffic.
⭐ WP Rocket Features
- Caching all the pages for quick viewing – speeds up load times considerably;
- Caching for mobile visitors – this streamlines the mobile experience;
- Caching for logged-in users – again, this helps speed up the end-user experience.;
- Preloading the cache of pages;
- Reduction of the number of HTTP requests to reduce loading time;
- Decreasing bandwidth usage with GZIP compression;
- Apply optimal browser caching headers (expires);
- Minification and concatenation of JS and CSS files;
- Deferred loading of images (LazyLoad);
- WebP compatibility;
- Generation of Critical Path CSS and deferred loading of CSS files;
- Database optimization;
- WordPress Heartbeat API control;
- DNS prefetch;
- CDN integration;
- Cloudflare and Sucuri integration;
- Host Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel files locally;
- Easy import/export of settings;
- Easy roll back to a previous version.
|Plan||What you pay per month||Supported sites|
WP Rocket doesn’t offer a free version compared to other WordPress plugins for photographers. You can choose the license that best fits your needs – Single, Plus, or Infinite.
With every pricing plan, you will get one year of support and updates for a specific number of supported sites.
♟️ Yoast SEO
If you are looking for an SEO plugin, Yoast SEO is the complete search engine optimization suite for any WordPress website. Yoast SEO is the most-used WordPress SEO plugin and has helped millions of people to rank on Google.
Whether you are an online entrepreneur, blogger, content creator, developer, (WordPress) SEO expert, or business owner, Yoast SEO helps you keep your website in perfect shape.
The Yoast SEO plugin takes care of everything regarding optimizing your site for search engines and verifying it with webmaster tools.
⭐ Yoast SEO Features
- SEO analysis – an invaluable tool while writing SEO-friendly content with the right key phrases in mind;
- Readability analysis – ensures that humans and search engines can read and understand your content;
- Full language support – includes support for English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Arabic, Swedish, Hebrew, and Hungarian;
- Google preview – shows what your listings will look like in the search results;
- Innovative Schema blocks for the WordPress block editor – this makes it so your FAQ and how-to content can be shown directly in the search results;
- Internal linking blocks – easily improve the structure of your content;
- Social previews – show you how your content will be shown on Twitter and Facebook;
- Insights tool – shows you what your text focuses on;
- Optimize your content for synonyms and related keyphrases;
- Optimize your article for different word forms of your keyphrases – including the singular and plural;
- Automatic internal linking suggestions – write your article and get automatic suggested posts to link to;
- Orphaned content filter – detect posts that have no links pointing toward them;
- WooCommerce SEO – for all online shops that want to perform better in the search results and social media;
- Yoast Video SEO – ensures that Google understands your video, increasing the chances of ranking in the video results.
|Plan (supported sites)||What you pay per month||Discounts|
Yoast SEO is the best SEO WordPress plugin that offers free and premium versions with a different number of supported sites.
If you opt for the premium version, you’ll not only benefit from all its features, but you will also have access to all their SEO training courses in Yoast SEO academy to optimize your images professionally.
As for any website, security is vital for your photography website and reputation. Wordfence Security is one of the best free WordPress plugins that can be used to secure your website easily.
Suppose you want to secure your website by proactively checking to see if your server or website has been compromised and implementing security practices that protect your website from future threats. You should take a look at Wordfence.
⭐ Wordfence Features
- Malware scanner checks core files, themes, and plugins – checks for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects, and code injections;
- Real-time malware signature updates – works via the Threat Defense Feed;
- Compares your core files, themes, and plugins with what is in the WordPress.org repository – this checks their integrity and reports any changes to you;
- Repair files that have changed by overwriting them with a pristine, original version – delete any files that don’t belong easily within the Wordfence interface;
- Checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues – it also alerts you to potential security issues when a plugin has been closed or abandoned;
- Checks your content safety by scanning file contents, posts, and comments for dangerous URLs and suspicious content;
- Checks to see if your site or IP has been blocklisted for malicious activity, generating spam, or other security issues;
Modula Gallery Plugin
Create the most impressive photography website by displaying your artwork in amazing galleries!
|Plan (Supported sites)||What you pay per year||Discount %|
|2 – 4 sites||$89.10||10%|
|5 – 9 sites||$84.15||15%|
|10 – 14 sites||$79.20||20%|
You can download Wordfence’s security plugin for free, or you can choose to pay for a premium plan.
Wordfence Premium starts at $99/year for one site, and you get a discount if you tack on additional sites to your order. The more sites you add, the bigger the discount!
♟️ Easy Digital Downloads
We only recommend products we genuinely believe in and trust ourselves. Although Easy Digital Downloads is a tad pricey, it is the best-in-class when it comes to selling digital products with WordPress.
Whether it is photos, ebooks, graphics, videos, or any other type of media file, Easy Digital Downloads provides a complete system for effortlessly selling your digital products.
As a photographer, the best way to grow your photography business is to start selling your photos online.
⭐ Easy Digital Downloads Features
- Frontend shopping cart – Customers can browse your product catalog, add items to their cart, and check out when they are ready;
- Flexible and clean checkout form – Buyers can complete their purchase with ease directly on your site’s checkout page;
- Complete customer management – View and manage detailed records of all customers and their purchase history;
- Detailed eCommerce reports – Keep track of your earnings, refunds, sales, and more;
- Protect product files – Prevent unauthorized visitors from accessing your product files without paying;
- Discount codes – Boost sales by offering potential customers coupons or discount codes that can be applied at checkout;
- Refund tracking – EDD makes processing refunds a hassle-free experience;
- Works with any theme – Let your chosen WordPress theme handle the design.
|Plan||What you pay per year||Supported sites|
|Personal Pass||$99||1 site|
|Extended Pass||$199||1 site|
|Professional Pass||$299||1 site|
|All Access Pass||$499||Unlimited sites|
You can download the free version on WordPress.org or choose from one of the four pricing plans on the Easy Digital Downloads website.
As you can see in the above table, the first three plans are for a single site. They differ depending on features, tools, and extensions. The more you pay, the more you get!
However, the All Access Pass allows you to use all of EDD’s features, tools, and extensions for unlimited sites at a much higher cost.
♟️ Picu – Client Proofing
This WordPress plugin helps photographers let clients proof (approve) photos on their own website. With Picu, you can create galleries with images from your photoshoots.
All you need to do is create a collection of photos and send the link to your customers via email. When the client approves the collection of photos, you’ll be alerted by email.
Picu uses its own independent design for proofing collections instead of the theme’s templates.
This ensures a consistent, user-friendly, and easy-to-understand workflow for your clients and prevents many compatibility issues between themes and plugins.
This is an excellent plugin for photographers – Shoot. Upload. Get Approved.
⭐ Picu Features
- Brand & Customize – add a custom logo and adapt the client gallery to match your branding;
- Mark & Comment – allows your clients to add comments and markers to individual images;
- Selection Options – define the number of images your client needs to select to approve a collection;
- Download – enable your client to download all collections images as a .zip file;
- Import – the ability to upload large amounts of images via FTP and import them directly from your web server;
- Theft Protection – prevent image theft from Picu collections by adding a watermark to your uploads and more.
Like most WordPress plugins for photographers on our list, Picu allows users to choose between free and premium versions.
But this plugin offers only a single pricing plan with a single site license for $149. You can also renew it annually or cancel your subscription at any time.
♟️ Check & Log Email
This WordPress plugin helps you store sent emails for auditing purposes and debug email-related problems on your WordPress site.
The check and Log Email plugin works best for eCommerce websites and allows you to log and view all emails sent from WordPress.
It is entirely free. Your photography website will need the Check and Log Email plugin so you can keep track of your client’s orders and purchases!
⭐ Check and Log Email Features
- Check email – choose an address that will receive a simple test email;
- You can override the custom header with your own values to avoid any other issues;
- View logged emails – they can be viewed from the admin interface, as they are stored in a separate table.
- You get the option to filter logged emails based on subject, email, date, etc;
- Delete logged emails – you can delete them by going to the admin interface.
- You can delete logged emails in bulk or selectively – by date, email, or subject.
♟️ Easy Watermark
It is common practice for photographers to add watermarks to their photographs in order to protect them from misuse or reuse without permission or even accreditation.
The Easy Watermark plugin allows you to automatically add watermarks to images that you upload to the WordPress Media Library. All you need to do is choose an image, set your preferred opacity and watermark position, and the plugin does all the work!
This plugin can also add watermarks to existing images in your WordPress Media Library, which is extremely useful if you’ve just recently realized that someone has been stealing and using your work as if it is their own.
And the best part? It is completely free, and you won’t have to pay for an additional feature.
⭐ Easy Watermark Features
- Image watermark can be in multiple file formats – JPG, PNG, or GIF;
- Full support for transparency and alpha channel – works in both PNG and GIF files;
- JPG and GIF files and text can have opacity set – ranges from 0 to 100%;
- Text watermark is created using TTF fonts;
- Text color, size, and rotation can be set;
- You can add a text watermark;
- The plugin can create image backups and allows you to restore images quickly.
Final Thoughts – WordPress Plugins for Photographers
We hope this article helped photographers choose the best plugins for their WordPress websites.
If you’re not sure that you should use WordPress – maybe you’re interested in this post about the best website builders for photographers.
Frequently Asked Questions
With over 100,000+ active installations and the most powerful features, tools, and extensions, Modula has been labeled the best WordPress gallery plugin for photographers, designers, and creatives. Give it a try and see for yourself!
Easy Digital Downloads is a complete eCommerce solution for selling digital products of all kinds on WordPress. It integrates with a great number of the most common merchant processors as well as a large number of payment gateways.
If you want to manage your photos and easily create online photo-proofing galleries in your WordPress admin, Picu is your best bet. Picu was built to empower photographers, take the hassle out of the proofing workflow, and save time communicating with clients.
I have installed the ‘Portfolio Designer’ WordPress plugin on one of my client’s website.
It offers an easy way to add a photography portfolio to your website. This plugin provides different portfolio layouts like Grid, Masonry, Slider, etc. to set up your portfolio page for any WordPress website. It has 50+ unique hover effects included in it.
Thanks for sharing that with us Mark! Have you given Modula a try? 🙂
Thanks for your posts I find it helpful since I am a new WordPress user finding my way. Great explanation regarding the best WordPress plugins I have come across. This post really helpful for me.
Hi Sima – I’m so glad to hear that you found this post helpful!
Great List of Plugins.
Also, I would like to add WP Paint – WordPress Image Editor Plugin, It will help photographers with image editing, apply effects like blur and more, image adjustment.
I’ve been having a hard time finding a plugin that will allow me to have a client gallery with DOWNLOADABLE images that IS NOT through purchases of additional images. When I upload the images for final download, I want them to be able to download all of them without any hassle. I also need for it to replicate my website theme and not create some simplified ugly download process. It almost seems impossible to find this. I’ve had to revert to using pixiset and having them just mask their domain name with mine.
Hi, Lo! Thanks for your comment. Modula PRO provides a Download extension that allows you to create a gallery with downloadable images so that your clients can download your pictures. Here’s an article on how to do it – https://wp-modula.com/wordpress-downloadable-gallery/ . I hope this article will help you. Have a nice day!